Adaptive Management for Low-Tech PBR of Riverscapes
Originally, we discussed doing a post project appraisal next week. Instead of engaging on a new project, we have decided to have you expand your Design Report to include:
- As Built Documentation
- An Adaptive Management Plan, which includes:
- Conceptual Model & Project Hypotheses (in addition to detailed Design Hypotheses already in your report)
- Monitoring & Maintenance Necessary to test those hypotheses
- Trigger points for maintenance or next-phase actions (see these figures, that you can modify)
You will prepare an Adaptive Beaver Management Plan modeled loosely after the Portugal et al. (2015) Pine Creek Plan in §8.
- Portugal E, Wheaton JM and Bouwes N. 2015.Technical Report: Pine Creek Watershed Scoping Plan for Restoration: Using Beaver Dam Analogs and High-Density LWD to Initiate Process-Based Stream Recovery. Prepared for the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs. Logan UT, 52 pp. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.1607.9527
You may wish to look at examples of adaptive beaver management plans :
- Portugal, E., Wheaton, JM., Sorenson, K., Majerova, M., Hunt, B., Bouwes, N. 2015. Hardware Ranch Adaptive Beaver Management Plan (Links to an external site.). Prepared for Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. Logan, Utah. 26 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.29887.30883 (Links to an external site.)
- Portugal E., Wheaton, JM., Bouwes, N. 2015. Spring Creek Wetland Area Adaptive Beaver Management Plan (Links to an external site.). Prepared for Walmart Stores Inc. and the City of Logan. Logan, Utah. 25 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2075.3361
- Wheaton JM. 2013. Scoping Study and Recommendations for an Adaptive Beaver Management Plan (Links to an external site.). Prepared for Park City Municipal Corporation. Logan, Utah, 30 pp. DOI: 10.6084/m9.figshare.903648 (Links to an external site.).
- Shahverdian SM, Macfarlane WW and Wheaton JM. 2016. MEMO: Westerly Creek Beaver Dam Capacity Assessment: Developing Realistic Expectations for Beaver Dam Activity (Links to an external site.). Prepared for Muller Engineering Company, Anabranch Solutions, Logan, UT, 24 pp. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.34120.93446 (Links to an external site.)
Remember, the above four reports are all licensed with Creative Commons Attribution licenses, so you can reuse materials in those reports as long as you cite it accordingly (failing to cite appropriately would represent actual plagiarism). So, here's what that translates to:
- If you use any of the reports as a 'template' for outline, structure and organization, or if hole sections are copied and edited, include in your acknowledgements a clear explanation of what was copied (i.e. what sections), and whether it was copied and edited) and an explicit citation.
- If you use any of the figures or tables, in the captions, make sure you include in the caption (at end typically) a direct citation (e.g. either "Copied from Figure X from Shahverdian et al. (2016)." or "Figure adapted from Figure X of Shahverdian et al. (2016).").
- If you wish to quote specific text in any document, provide a specific citation e.g. - Shahverdian et al. (2016, p 16) reported: "Beaver dams are wet."
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
You should submit an updated version of your report with the above adaptive management and monitoring plan sections added to it. Please submit this plan by Wednesday April 18, so that Peter can provide detailed feedbback for you on Friday, April 20.